Grittleton Country House In The Village Of Grittleton In The Cotswolds
Grittleton House is a country house in the village of Grittleton, Wiltshire, England, about 51⁄2 miles (9km) northwest of the town of Chippenham. It is a building of historical significance and is Grade II listed on the English Heritage Register.
On this site, across the road from St Mary’s Church, stood a three-bay Jacobean manor house, dating from 1660. The estate was bought in 1828 by Joseph Neeld, a London lawyer who had inherited a substantial sum, and Grittleton became his country seat.
Architect James Thomson partly refaced and added to this house during 1832–40 for Neeld. In 1852–6 there was a partial demolition of the original manor with the new additions being designed again by Thomson, who was replaced by Henry Clutton in 1853. However, Thomson appears to have completed the house in 1854–6. Pevsner wrote of the house: ”It is really a monstrosity. It has Jacobean gables and a Jacobean central tower, but windows of a long, thin, Veneto-Byzantine variery, and odd oriels in unexpected places”.
In 1988 the house was designated as a Grade II listed building. Many notable people have been residents of the house, and today it is a venue for events, particularly weddings.
Cinematic (Sting) by Twin Musicom is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Gymnopedie No 1 by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)